Anyone who’s ever owned a boat or even a car knows how important wax is. A good wax doesn’t just create a seal. It keeps out debris, prevents UV fading, and prolongs the life and luster of what it protects. Wax is especially important for anyone dealing with a lot of fiberglass in their boats. No wonder you’ve come here searching for the best boat wax for fiberglass boats. But how do you know which wax reigns supreme?
What to Expect from the Best Boat Wax
Wax is wax, right? “You buy one, you’ve bought them all?” Not quite. Your fiberglass boat is much pickier about its relationship to wax than you might think. Yes, most waxes will offer some protection. But any responsible fiberglass boat owner needs to know the maximum protection they can give their fiberglass. And that means doing more than simply creating a wax seal.
Sound confusing? Let’s break it down. Here is what you should expect out of the best boat wax for fiberglass boats:
- Durability. You might love taking care of your boat, but there are only so many hours in the year. The best boat wax used in conjunction with boat polish should be able to last years, not months. And a quality boat wax will tell you what to expect in terms of durability, right on the label.
- UV filtering. Protecting your fiberglass from the elements is great and all, but many boat owners forget about one of the most important “elements” when it comes to weather: sunlight. UV rays bear down on your boat constantly. Without adequate UV protection, your boat is just as prone to sun damage as you are. Be sure to find a boat wax that offers quality UV protection.
- Marine-grade quality. Though car wax and boat wax are similar, there’s one glaring difference: unless you have one heck of a special car, it’s not going to have to take on the prospect of marine life. Your boat, on the other hand, has to deal with bacteria, plant life, water and more.
If your fiberglass boat wax doesn’t deliver on all three of these characteristics, it’s possible you haven’t yet found the best boat wax for fiberglass boats yet. Let’s fix that.
Two Boat Wax Recommendations
Which boat wax is best for your boat? That depends on your needs. Consider our two best boat wax recommendations:
- LifeWax. LifeWax is your go-to fiberglass boat wax. There’s nothing merely “standard” about the quality protection it offers. Used in conjunction with PolyShine®, it will last up to three years.
- Graphix Wax. This option is for those who have more than just fiberglass to protect. Your custom boat graphics are expensive and may even be the best thing your boat has going for it. It only makes sense to protect it with the best boat wax specifically designed to protect the lush colors you worked so hard to achieve.
Pick out the best boat wax for your individual situation, and browse our full collection of boat cleaning and repair products to take the best care of your investment.